Now that the baby is a boy and the toddler bed is soon to be outgrown, I’ve been thinking about “The Next Big Project” to distract myself with. While checking out the Target website, I noticed that they’ve recently launched a few new design/furniture collections. Some seem cribbed from CB2, others look more Pottery Barn Kids with a bit of Dwell Studio thrown in. Some might say the cupboard looks a bit ransacked. But no mind to the source of inspiration, someone in Minneapolis seems to be doing right by the “design for all” philosophy.
So here was my challenge to myself: Design a room in the same colorway as Fionn’s room right now, just with new furniture, rugs, and window treatments, and do it all online from Target. (By the way, for all you grammarians out there, here’s what I learned while checking the title to this post: “Grey is a colour, but gray is a color.” )
I started with the awesome Calhoun metal headboard and TV/storage unit. I then complemented with warm gray (nearing brown) accents, introducing a few patterns for interest.
I’m kicking myself for not buying this lamp (above) when it was available. Now it says “not available” online or in stores. But it’s genius, isn’t it? A Jeff Koons balloon dog combined with the Teddy Bear lamp from SuckUK, but decidedly less creepy. Hope they bring it back.
So here’s the assortment. Click the image to enlarge.
1. Calhoun Media Stand $169.99. Meant for a TV, but can be used with storage bins for clothes/toys/junk.
2. Chloe & Conner Rocketship Chair $99.99. The most ‘kiddie’ item in this room, but so cute.
3. Target Home Basketweave Window Panel $24.99. I much prefer grommet-top curtains to any other kind. These may need backing with room-darkening curtains, but would still be a bargain.
4. Calhoun Headboard (twin) $109.99. It comes in black too, for the more risk-averse.
5. Dog balloon lamp (unavailable?!) $34.99.
7. Threshold Basic Border Rug $179.99. Reasonable enough to loosen the Play-doh restrictions.
8. Room 365 Dot Comforter Set (Twin) $69.99. Love. Want this for our own bed.
If you’ve discovered anything surprising or cool at Target, drop me a line- I’d like to know.